Saturday, February 21, 2009

くらやみ - The Dark

Something you may not have known about me - I'm scared of darkness.
I avoid saying 'scared of the dark' because it sounds juvenile, and I've long since moved beyond the fear that most children have of the dark. Now it's developed into a more mature fear, which is no better I guess. =_=

Anyway, I was just playing piano before, and it was pretty dark. I was playing a pretty speedy nocturne, and it's hard enough that I totally mess it up unless I concentrate really hard.
The wind started to blow, and a variety of night-noises came about.
I'm still playing this nocturne, and I get the sudden, certain feeling, that something is behind me, watching me play.
I don't stop - I can't stop. I love this piece, and I find it impossible to stop playing.
The night sounds grow louder, and I grow more and more horrified by what lies behind me. I cannot tear my eyes from the sheet music in front of me, afraid of losing my place, but I wish more than anything that I could look behind me, just to reassure myself that there is nothing there.
The piece grows faster and louder, and the night grows faster and louder to match.
As the piece reaches its climax, so too does my horror, and finally I finish, whirling around, to see nothing but the evaporation of my irrational fears.

Now, I'm not into hallucinogenic drugs, so I can't really say with much authority what is 'trippy' or not, but that was one of the most fucked up things I have ever done in my life.
It was a direct clash of two of the most irrational things about myself - a passion for music, and the irrational fears that haunt my mind.
They fought furiously for supremacy within my head at the same time as the epicness of the piece I played whirled around my senses.

0 comments: