Wednesday, February 18, 2009

せい - Life, True (logical), System, 10 ^ 40

I was talking to somebody yesterday.
They remarked, almost offhandedly, that "Life is difficult".
I thought about it. At the time, I didn't really say anything, but I thought about it a bit later on.

I disagree. 'Life' is very easy.
...
I just stopped typing for a few seconds, and did absolutely nothing. I was alive. Living. It was remarkably easy. I didn't even need to do anything different, and I was living. If anything is difficult, then death, or the absence of life, is the difficult thing. Those who are being sent to die, or who are told that they have only a few months left to live, it is they who find life relatively inconsequential. Their death consumes them, and it is the most difficult thing they have ever, or will ever have to do.

But I don't think that's what my conversant was talking about.
I believe that they were talking about the life which we all consider to be 'normal'. A state where we aren't thinking about our emotions, our troubles, and are simply existing. We tend not to notice when we are in this state, because, by its very nature, it does not allow for such thoughts. I like to think that this state is simple happiness. Not joy, or gladness, but simple contentment.
This is what I think was being referred to as difficult. A state of contentment.
Truly, it is certainly something that is difficult to come by. If there is anything wrong, anything that occupies our thoughts, that state vanishes like tendrils of incensed smoke upon a breeze.

I need some sort of fume-cabinet.

Then I'll be content.

0 comments: