Monday, July 28, 2008

せいじょう - Normality

Well...
I saw the Dark Knight, and I have to say, for a western movie, it was pretty damn good.
Clocking in at just over 2 and a half hours, it was sufficiently long to create some decent characters and plotline, the acting by Heath Ledger (The dead guy) was certainly deserving of all the praise it's received, unlike SOME lead characters I could name.
To be honest, it would probably be one of my favorite movies of all time if I hadn't:

  • Watched anime
  • Read Manga
  • Played JRPGs
  • Played Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney - Justice for All
Now, the first three were things that introduced me to the concept of awesome, subtle, in-depth storylines which have a serious emotional impact on their audience. The Dark Knight had a pretty good storyline with some decent conflict in it, but it was so unsubtle, with the voiceover REPETITIVELY going over how jesusmanbatman was willing to sacrifice his image to save people, and how he is oh so courageous, and oh so sacrificing. If they had just been a little more subtle about it, it might have been pretty good.

With Pheonix Wright, in the second game, you eventually have to make the choice between saving someone dear to you, and upholding justice and staying true to yourself. Something similar happens in The Dark Knight, but unlike in The Dark Knight, Pheonix Wright pulls off this internal conflict so excellently, nothing can ever compare.


So, in terms of how awesome the movie was, I'd say it was epically super-duper awesome. :P
In terms of how much I enjoyed it, it was very, very enjoyable, but failed to leave a lasting effect on me.

0 comments: