Saturday, October 20, 2007

*Insert shikamaru's catchphrase*

How troublesome.
Over the last week, I have spent the majority of my time sleeping. Second to that would be school. Third to that would be moving furniture. FURNITURE. What with the renovations, we have to keep moviong furniture in and out of storage. Mum/Dad don't want to pay goons to do it, so it's me and dad lifting things all day. It. Is. Tiring. Not only that, but we have to keep going without internet for several days, and I almost missed the 13th/7th division wedding. *Kept vague in case he would want me to.*

Speaking of the internet, I will now divulge my fourth largest time-spender: Attempting to set up the wireless for my laptop, which I installed XP on. I'm going to have it dual-boot so I can get the advantages of both Linux and Windows. Windows...my fifth time spender? Singing "Ode to Joy" in my head, but replacing all the lyrics with "I hate Windows." The only reason it is fifth and not fourth is I don't hate Windows until I actually try to set up anything. Let's have a comparison, shall we?

Linux - Starting up.
*Takes about 45 seconds to load the GUI, after that, there is no more booting to be done.*

Windows - Starting up.
*Takes about 30 seconds to load the GUI, then about 5 minutes doing god-knows what, but it is enough to flog the system and prevent me from doing anything.*

Linux - Customising.
*Chooses a cool theme (One of about 10 that came default). Spends about 10 minutes changing the colours and gradients of all the windows, easily adds programs and applets to the taskbar, starts setting up folders in the home directory.

Windows - Customising.
*Chooses a dodgy theme (One of two). Spends about 15 minutes changing the colours and gradients to all the windows, before saving the settings, only to discover that, just to say "fuck you", Windows has discarded all of these settings you painstakingly perfected. Attempts to add programs to the startbar, but instead adds things that I can't, and won't use. Starts setting up folders in My Documents.*

Linux - Setting up the Wireless Network.
*Boots for the first time. Clicks the network button in the taskbar, brings up a list of wireless networks in range. Clicks "Sleight", inserts WEP key, and is now connected.*
Wow...that was easy.

Windows - Setting up the Wireless Network.
*Boots for the first time. The wireless applet does not even appear. Confused, opens up the Hardware List, there is no network card appearing. >_< Goes onto other laptop, downloads drivers for network card. Installs drivers, and the sound one, since Windows thinks I have no sound-card. Attempts to connect...again. Fails. Cannot find access point. Does some research, apparently I need SP2. Plugs network cable into laptop so I can download and install SP2. Installs it, and goes to sleep. Wakes up the next day and posts a blog about how grumpy he is with Windows.*

So yeah...hence the song in my head. At least I have an actual PC now... (Unpacked and plugged it in...since I'm now on a wired connection.....IT'S CS:S TIME!!!!!)

0 comments: